Crunchy, sweet, vaguely healthy and most importantly currant free!! This granola is easy to make, low in refined sugars and pretty versatile – lets just say this makes it to more meals than just breakfast!
If there is anything you need to know about me when it comes to food is that I hate currants and dried fruits – of any kind – they are the devil. Finding themselves in food all the time with no warning! I find that currant free granola tends to be pricey (not to mention unhealthy off the shelf!) so I started making my own – at one point, at my day job we all went a bit DIY granola crazy!
Ingredients – Makes 6 servings (ish)
280g Raw jumbo rolled oats
50g Desiccated coconut
20g Coconut pieces or shavings (if you can get hold of them, optional but nice)
70g Whole almonds
50g Flaked almonds
2 tablespoons of Vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
3 tablespoons Coconut Oil (unsalted butter will work also!)
4 tablespoons Runny honey
You will need an airtight jar or container to store.
- Coconut oil and flavours- melt the oil or butter in a pan on a very low heat and add the salt, honey, and vanilla extract. Combine well until all melted – but don’t ‘cook’ it
- Oven – preheat your oven on gas mark 6/220 degrees
- Dry ingredients – combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Mix – Pour in the coconut oil mix, stir well but not too much, you want to leave some clumps and clusters
- Bake – spread into a thin layer over a baking sheet, and place in the oven on the middle shelf. Check on it regularly keeping an eye on the edges so they don’t burn Shuffle around on the sheet regularly until just more than golden brown (15 mins ish)
- Cool and store – remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before transferring into an airtight container