Let’s face it… smoked salmon is delicious and extremely versatile. It even works well served hot! Because my other half isn’t much of fish fan, I look forward to the days I’m home alone when I can cook up treats like this for myself!
Here is my quick and light smoked salmon pasta dish…please don’t confuse light with low calorie though!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
Pasta of your choice (GF if required of course!) allow around 75g per person of dried pasta
Smoked salmon around 150-200g ripped up into large strips
Broccoli a couple of handfuls of small florets (bite sized)
Mushrooms a handful sliced (chestnut or button will do the trick!)
Shallot one large finely diced
Garlic a large clove finely chopped
Double cream or creme fraiche around 300ml
Lemon you’ll just need a squeeze
Wholegrain mustard a tablespoon of
Parsley small handful chopped
Dill (optional- but salmon and dill are made for each other!) about a tablespoon finely chopped
Olive oil for cooking
Salt and pepper for seasoning
1. Pasta – start cooking your pasta according to the instructions give it 5 mins because the rest of the dish will take minutes to cook
2. Fry – lightly, the shallots and garlic in a little olive oil
3. Vegetables – Add the mushrooms to the frying pan and the broccoli into the pasta water (clever eh?)
4. Sauce – once your mushrooms have taken on a little colour pour some of the pasta water into the frying pan (about 1/4 of a pint should do it). Simmer gently, add the mustard and a light squeeze of lemon juice, let the water evaporate a bit before the next step
5. Salmon – Now add the salmon and gently stir – not too much or it will all fall apart!
6. Pasta – strain the pasta and broccoli add it into the frying pan along with the herbs and cream/creme fraiche. Season to taste and toss it all together well and serve with a sprig of parsley