Yes…you read it right! Stay with me.. its not as crazy as you think! In short this is a cross between an omelette, Spanish tortilla and a frittata. Besides being very easy, quick and cheap to make the best thing about this is you can make it with pretty much whatever you have in your fridge. I often make it the day after real pizza night when I have lots of left over chopped up pizza toppings or when I haven’t been shopping! Don’t get me wrong though, this dish is by no means a cop out! Got kids? This is a great way to get a healthy meal eaten fast! – its pizza after all…isn’t it?
You can make this with anything! Here are just some suggestions…
Meats and Fish
Bacon, pepperoni, ham, chicken, chorizo, smoked salmon, smoked haddock, tuna, prawns.
Peppers, onions, spring onion, sweetcorn, mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes.
Bacon, vegetable and Cheese “Pizza” Omelette
Serves 4 (with a side salad or chunk of bread)
Eggs 6-8 depending on size and how hungry you all are!
Milk – 3oml ish – A good splosh!
Flour – tablespoon of (Gluten free of course if required!)
Fillings – whatever you’ve opted for, all chopped up the same size
(This one was made with a bacon, onion, red peppers, sweetcorn and mushrooms)
Cheese – whatever you fancy – grated, just enough to sprinkle on top (I went for reduced fat mature cheddar)
Salt & Pepper
Olive oil – for frying
TIP: Its best to use a pan with a metal handle such as a skillet. If you don’t have one, just be careful in step 5 not to push the pan too far under the grill!
- Eggs – Whisk the eggs, flour, milk and seasoning together in a jug – set aside while you cook the rest
- Meats or fish – If you’ve gone for a meaty or fish option, fry these off first in the pan
- Vegetables – Now add the veg, fry for a couple of minutes (its nice to leave a bit of a crunch!)
- Eggs – Spread the filling evenly across the bottom of the pan, now evenly pour over the egg mixture. Turn down the heat, and cook for a few minutes, or until you can easily loosen the edges of the omelette with a spatula. Turn on your grill
- Grill – place the pan under the grill, keep an eye on it – the flour should make your omelette puff up nicely.
- Cheese – Once the eggs start turning a little brown on top sprinkle on the cheese, grill until its lovely and gooey!