This breakfast should hit all the right spots but with less mess and less calories! And doesn’t it look great? Ideal for breakfast at the weekend (when you have a little more time).
Ingredients (Serves 1)
2 slices of smoked streaky bacon – You want the streaky kind so that you can get the bacon super crispy
A couple of baby or cherry tomatoes – leave them whole
A couple of button or chestnut mushrooms – Chopped in half
1 large egg – free range of course
Slice of bread for toasting – normal or gluten free
Salt, pepper and fresh or frozen parsley for serving
- Prepare – Fill a deep frying pan with water and a decent sprinkle of salt. Bring the water to the boil, once bubbling turn right down.
- Bacon – Put another your frying pan on the hob and get it hot. Drizzle in a little oil and lay the streaky bacon flat. Fry on a medium heat.You’ll want to get this really crispy (but not burnt!) so you can pick it up and dip it in the egg later!
- Mushrooms and tomatoes – After a few minutes turn the bacon over and put the mushrooms and tomatoes into the same pan.
- Egg – Place a poaching ring or round metal cookie cutter in the pan, give it a moment to warm up. Gently crack in the egg, don’t break the yolk or it will over cook.
- Bacon – Turn over the bacon again, and gently using tongs turn over the the mushrooms and tomatoes – they should be nicely sauted now.
- Toast – Toast and butter your bread while everything cooks.
- Egg – Once the egg white turn white from translucent – your egg is ready – any longer you’ll have nothing to dip your crispy bacon in! Gently lift out the egg using a spatula with holes or a skimmer. Place the egg on the toast
- Serve – Put the bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes on a plate with some kitchen paper to get rid of the excess fat – stack it all up on the toast – season and sprinkle with the parsley and hey presto you have all your favourite things on one slice of bread!
- Enjoy – with a squirt of brown sauce and a cup of your favourite tea.