As the title suggests this dish is my late Dad’s. I’m not sure how it came about exactly but I’m sure it has something to do with my dad not wanting to do a load of dishes after making breakfast for a family of five!
This ‘one pan’ mini full English dish makes a fantastic quick breakfast or brunch for a larger group- whether that’s a family of five or a bunch of mates tending to a hangover! Best thing about this dish? You can completely personalise it and use whatever you have in the fridge. But this recipe is true to my Dad’s and I promise you, you won’t be disappointed.
Ingredients (serves 4/5)
5-7 Eggs depending on size (I always like to do 1 ½ eggs a person just in case!)
Milk – good glug depending on how many eggs
Butter or oil for frying
3 slices of smoked back bacon (diced)
One small white onion – thinly sliced (It has to be white onion, red just changes the taste of this dish too much)
Handful of mushrooms, either white or chestnut (sliced)
Seasoning: Salt and pepper (white and black if you have it)
Fresh parsley for serving
1-2 Slices of toast per person for serving – Gluten free if required.
- Eggs – crack the eggs into a bowl or jug, add a glug of milk (this helps keep the eggs moist, season with salt and pepper, whisk up lightly – set aside while you cook the rest of the ingredients.
- Bacon – Add butter or oil (or both!) into a large frying pan, once heated throw in your diced bacon and fry on a medium heat.
- Onions – Once the bacon has changed colour chuck in your onions, now fry until the bacon is starting to crisp and the onions go soft and turn brown.
- Mushrooms – Now add your mushrooms. These will only need a couple of minutes.
- Toast – Start making your toast – you’ll need quite a few slices if there’s loads of you! (I suggest getting one of your guest to help out here or your eggs will go cold.
- Eggs – now add the egg mixture – Turn up the heat! Keep stirring and scrapping the bottom of the pan
- Serve– The dish is ready when the eggs are cooked to your liking – I like mine well done in this dish! Transfer into a large bowl and sprinkle with fresh parsley and let everyone help themselves!
- Enjoy – and have a fantastic day! (hangover free…)
Serve with toast or bread and butter tomato sauce a cuppa and great conversation about the night before!
Diced tomatoes (not too many or it’ll go sloppy)